Wednesday, November 16, 2011

They don't even know you...all they see is scars

My Sixx A.M. kick continues, but this time I'm pulling from their new(er) album. The last track is called "Skin," and I think it's beautiful (go figure).

"'Cause they don't even know you; all they see is scars. They don't see the angel living in your heart. Let them find the real you buried deep within. Let them know with all you've got that you are not your skin."

At first, all I could think of was the people I know who've harmed themselves. I have a friend who never *seriously* harmed herself, but obviously was crying for help... and she was yelled at... and rejected. "It's stupid and selfish to cut yourself. How did that help anything?" I visited her in the hospital and I wasn't sure what to do for her. She knew cutting herself wouldn't change the situation. All she knew was that she *hurt* and she couldn't pinpoint where... so she gave the pain an outlet... a location. 

She got the help she needed, but she still struggles with the faint scars lefts behind. Now she's labeled a "cutter," even though she hasn't harmed herself since her stay in the hospital. All people see are the scars.

This song brought me back to that, and again, all I can think about are our broken. Why is it so much easier to see scars on another and automatically think of the worst of them? Why is it that scars incite fear or negativity and harsh judgement? Why don't they incite *compassion*??? Yes, they represent a terrible action, but behind that action is *pain*. Behind that action is suffering, and illness. Yes, it takes an illness to do such a harm to oneself, but those afflicted are treated as lepers. It agitates me.

When we see friends suffering from some physical ailment, we direct them to a doctor or remedies we've tried to cure it. Why is it harder to do the same if we notice a friend is ailing mentally/emotionally? Is it because we know less about what to do, or that seeking help indicates some sort of "weakness?" What is it? 

Admittedly, I feel somewhat helpless when I know someone is suffering so much. I know that I don't have the capacity within myself to "save" them, but I just pray that whatever love I can give is translated in such a way that it does some good. I can never pretend that I have the answers because I don't. But sometimes it's enough to listen. How often do we even do that? How often do we get irritated listening to someone list their woes because it means nothing to us? What if those woes are crippling that person and they just need an outlet? What if it took all the courage they had to tell you about them?

Just because a person is suffering from depression doesn't mean s/he's weak. They're just *hurt* I think the only weaknesses that exist are sins. Depression isn't a sin. I'm going to stick to that. People will say that depression is selfish, just like self-harm, and suicide. It's not ok, but it's not a sin. It was once the case that those who committed suicide could not have a Christian burial because of the sin of taking a life, but we've realized that one canNOT  be fully be in the correct mindset if they're at such a point. I don't think it's so much that someone suffering from such an affliction can't think of others. There are plenty of people suffering from depression who dearly love their friends and family, and would do anything for them. But that doesn't mean they can just "shake off" the depression. I'd say it's like breaking your wrist and still trying to use it every day- it's painful to the point of distraction. You keep coming back to it.

I feel like all I've been able to talk about is depression, pain, and brokenness, but I guess I'm just tired of (seemingly) no one else caring. I'm surrounded by broken people who I love, and I want them to know they're loved. All advertising is spent anti-depressants. Medication isn't always the answer! As a society, we're so set on band-aids to cover the issue instead of TREATING it. Gah.  

Anyway... A person is more than her scars (or his scars). When we reduce a person to ANY particular point, we lose who s/he essentially is. And that's heartbreaking enough as it is. We're made to be seen... to be known... and to be loved. Even all the broken pieces. It's generally where we find the most incredible and beautiful strengths, anyway. And God knows we're in need of more of that. 

Next time, look for the soul as well as the skin. The skin tells a story, but only a small part, and we don't want to miss out on the person telling that story.

Paint yourself a picture
Of what you wish you looked like
Maybe then they just might
Feel an ounce of your pain

Come into focus
Step out of the shadows
It's a losing battle
There's no need to be ashamed

Cause they don't even know you
All they see is scars
They don't see the angel
Living in your heart

Let them find the real you
Buried deep within
Let them know with all you've got
That you are not your skin

Oh [X2]

When they start to judge you
Show them your true colors
And do onto others
As you'd have done to you

Just rise above this
Kill them with your kindness
Ignorance is blindness
They're the ones that stand to lose

'Cause they don't even know you
All they see is scars
They don't see the angel
Living in your heart

Let them find the real you
Buried deep within
Let them know with all you got
That you are not your skin

OHHHHHHHHHH

Well they don't even know you
All they see is scars
They don't see the angel
Living in your heart

Let them find the real you
Buried deep within
Let them know with all you've got
That you are not
That you are not your skin

No comments:

Post a Comment